Sunday, January 24, 2010

Misshapen chaos of well seeming forms

Am I really going to try to quit smoking?


As of 11:30 PM on January 23 of 2010 I smoked the last cigarette in the "last pack" of Marlboro's that I had bought earlier today. I'd like to think it's my last pack but we'll see. I've been smoking a pack a day since I was 16 years old, making that pack approximately pack number 3360.


Just some quick math for fun. That means I've smoked about 70,000 cigarettes in my life time, and I know that it hasn't always been $6.20 a pack, but for the past 3 or 4 years I know it's been about that much. So at that price I've smoked around $23,000 dollars worth of cigarettes by myself.

That doesn't include smokes I've given other people (or smokes I've gotten off of other people) but there's no point in being nit-picky.


Some other fun facts; Currently between Alisha and myself, we smoke about $350.00 worth of cigarettes a month... I pay $375.00 a month in rent...

We spend about the same in a month what we spend in rent for a shitty one bedroom arrangement that we share with 2 other guys in a 3 bedroom house.


About 10 hours of my working month is spend on just the cigarettes I smoke, 20.56 hours are spent on the cigarettes Alisha and I smoke. Times are hard and I only get about 80 hours of work in a month... That means everything I make for a weeks worth of work is spent on cigarettes.


None of this has anything to do with health.


If I keep smoking the way I've been smoking for the past ten years, by the time I'm 40 I'll look 50... By the time I'm 50 I'll look 70... If I make it to 50 without getting cancer of some kind, or dieing of lung, or heart complications.


At the cost of large amounts of money, and health I still smoke...


This blog is about my road to happiness... I think quitting needs to be a stepping stone on that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment