Monday, January 25, 2010

Dreams Of Right Speech

 

I just woke up about ten minutes ago, and I remember having a dream about "right speech."


"Right Speech" is one of the rules of the eight fold path, which are kind of the rules of Buddhism. I don't really know a lot about them, other then what I've read in a few books, but here's what I remember about right speech.


Don't lie, don't say negative things about other people, and don't participate in idle chatter, or gossip.


I guess I had a dream about it because I've been doing a lot of that lately. What's odd is that it started out that I was talking bad about my boss because I didn't like some of the things he has been doing lately. I remember that that's how it started, but then I also remember talking bad about some of the people that hang out at the same club as me and go to the same meetings. Then as I thought about it I remember talking bad about my girlfriend in some situations, then my girlfriend's Mom, and also my Mom at times.

What I don't remember is feeling good before or after talking bad about anybody. The whole thing got started because I was upset about something, then I started talking trash about somebody, that didn't make it that much better, so I just didn't stop for the most part, I just kept trash talking to be trash talking, and honestly I felt worse and worse the more and more I talked.


I think for the next few days I'm going to try to focus on that, or maybe not doing that as much as I can. I'm not trying to be Buddhist by any means, but the fact that I'm having dreams about this whole "Right Speech" thing means that some part of me is thinking about it, and I don't feel good about how I'm acting so far.


If after a few days I don't feel any better by not talking bad about people, lying, or participating in gossip, I can always go back to doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment